ASA Connect

View Only
  • 1.  non-parametric course

Posted 07-07-2016 16:42
    I've been asked to develop a course in non-parametric statistics for
    upper division math majors and computer engineering grad students.
    Students will have had some calculus and a standard calculus based stat
    course covering topics like t-tests for normal samples and least-squares
    regression. My immediate problem is to find a text. A 40 year old
    out-of-print book (Sturdy Statistics by Mosteller and Rourke) comes
    closest to what I am looking for, which is a somewhat informal text that
    emphasizes motivation and examples instead of proofs. But M&R makes no
    mention of bootstrap methods and doesn't use R or any other statistical
    package. Suggestions for a suitable text would be appreciated. thanks.
    Malcolm Sherman

• 2.  RE: non-parametric course

Posted 07-08-2016 04:40

Going off your preference for "motivation and examples", have you considered compiling a series a articles that address the curriculum?

E.g. This article by Gershman and Blei described the motivation of non-parametric method for modeling.

https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~blei/papers/GershmanBlei2012.pdf

This could be a helpful illustration that the value of non-parametric methods go far beyond "How to perform a hypothesis test when you data doesn't meet assumptions A, B, C, D."

------------------------------
    Glen Wright Colopy
    DPhil Student
    University of Oxford

• 3.  RE: non-parametric course

Posted 07-08-2016 08:48

My personal favorite non-parametric book is Hollander & Wolfe "Non-parametric Statistical Methods".  I still use it when I forget the nuances of different methods.  I have the first edition from 1973,  but a 3rd edition is available from 2014 with Eric Chicken added as coauthor. Nonparametric Statistical Methods, Third Edition

Wiley remove preview
    Nonparametric Statistical Methods, Third Edition
    Praise for the Second Edition "This book should be an essential part of the personal library of every practicing statistician."- Technometrics Thoroughly revised and updated, the new edition of Nonparametric Statistical Methods includes additional modern topics and procedures, more practical data sets, and new problems from real-life situations.
    View this on Wiley >
    Susan Spruill
    Statistical Consultant

• 4.  RE: non-parametric course

Posted 07-08-2016 09:08

I use Higgens.  I do traditional rank-based and permutation-bsed material for 7 weeks or so, and then 6 weeks on bootstrapping and smoothing,  There's a SAS companion, but as I recall no R.  You'll probably want to write your own R material in any event, however, since R tools develop so quickly.

John Kolassa
    Rutgers University

• 5.  RE: non-parametric course

Posted 07-08-2016 10:59

I second Hollander, Wolfe, and Chicken's Nonparametric Statistical Methods. The initial descriptions are inuitive with many examples including R code in the most recent edition. If you want more detailed explanations, each chapter has an appendix immediately following with more complex proofs and extensions. I come back to this book frequently for personal consultations.

Cynthia Bell
    Senior Statistician
    McGovern Medical School at UTHealth

• 6.  RE: non-parametric course

Posted 07-08-2016 11:13
    The best current nonparametric book is "An Introduction to Modern Nonparametrics" by Higgins. Very complete and better than some of the older books with its current perspectives on bootstrapping, permutation tests, randomization tests, and more. Use it as a reference in consulting, in building libraries for graduate students, and in one-on-one independent studies. I have used several of the older books by Gibbons and others for previous classes in non-parametrics. Hope that helps!

William L. Seaver
    Associate Professor in Business Analytics and Statistics
    2007 Allen Keally Outstanding Teacher Award
    2001 University's Excellence in Teaching Award

Business Analytics and Statistics
    Haslam College of Business
    University of Tennessee
    Knoxville, TN 37996-0532
    865-974-6862

• 7.  RE: non-parametric course

Posted 07-08-2016 11:28
    If the students have backgrounds in linear algebra and calculus, any intermediate level text on nonparametric statistics could be a good text.  In my teaching and research, I used the following two books:

1.WJ Conover, Practical Nonparametric Statistics, 3rd Edition, 1999, Wiley.
    2. M Hollander, DA Wolfe, and E Chicken, Nonparametric Statistical Methods, 3rd Edition, 2013, Wiley.

The first text as the name implies, deals with applied approaches of distribution-free techniques while the second goes into the theory behind them.  They both contain examples worked out and indicate strengths and lack of them in the methods.

I am a little surprised that you want to introduce bootstrap (and Monte Carlo, maybe?) techniques in your elementary course.  In any case, an excellent treatise of bootstrap techniques are described in AC Davidson, Bootstrap methods and their Applications, 1st Edition, 1997, Cambridge Series in Statistical and Probabilistic Mathematics.

In my active research and teaching days, we used to program these techniques in FORTRAN, C++, PL-1, or APL languages or use BMDP, StatXact, or later SAS to illustrate these techniques.  I suppose there are S++ or R++ codes for such techniques that one can find in current literature.  My point is that canned packages used for teaching these techniques may not be the best for the students to learn them.  But then again, I am old and old fashioned!  Good luck.

Ajit K. Thakur, Ph.D.
    Retired Statistician

• 8.  RE: non-parametric course

Posted 07-08-2016 11:44
    Sorry I gave wrong date of publication for the Hollander, Wolfe, and Chicken text of nonparametric statistics 3rd edition book.  It should be 2015.  1999 was the date of publication for the second edition of this wonderful book.

Ajit K. Thakur, Ph.D.
    Retired Statistician

• 9.  RE: non-parametric course

Posted 07-08-2016 14:27
    I highly recommend Nonparametric Statistical Methods, 3rd edition by Myles Hollander, Douglas Wolfe, and Eric Church. I've used earlier editions of this book many times. Here is a link with more information: http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118553314.html

Patti Costello
    Eastern Kentucky University

Sent from my iPad

• 10.  RE: non-parametric course

Posted 07-09-2016 09:24
    Edited by Raid Amin 07-09-2016 15:28

I am still using the text by William Conover for its useful examples and overall completeness in material coverage. The short "theory" pages are listed at the end of each section, so a course can be taught without the theory. I simply add separately whatever statistical programs and new developments in the nonparametric contributions in the literature. I have extracted several ideas from this text, and I built on these ideas research articles that I have published. I realize that in this thread few have recommended so far this text.

Raid Amin
    Professor
    University of West Florida