Discussion: View Thread

randomization question

• 1.  randomization question

Posted 08-14-2013 14:40
    Got this from a client I'm working with on a multi-center clinical trial. I've removed identifying information but otherwise the exact question is below.  I know what I think is the right way to go, but I'm curious to hear what the collective wisdom thinks:

"I'm writing with an interesting randomization question.  We have a patient who entered treatment at [Site 1].  At the time he entered treatment, he was randomized to a certain arm of treatment.  You may remember, though the randomization occurs right away, the treatment starts at session 3. [Lisa's note: the first 2 sessions are identical across treatment arms].

The patient completed 2 sessions of treatment and was then told he is being moved for work to [a new state, near Site 2].  The decision was made not to start treatment since he only had 1-2 weeks before moving.  I met with him along with the clinician at [Site 1] via Skype so we could have a warm handoff and continue to see him in our study.  The obvious question is, since he was randomized at [Site 1], do we keep the randomization and have them ship over the medication from their pharmacy to ours?  Or do we re-randomize for our site [Site 2]?"

What do you all think?

There is the additional question, since each site has quotas, whether he counts for Site 1 or Site 2, but that's secondary.

Thanks,
    Lisa

-------------------------------------------
    Lisa A. Spielman, Ph.D.
    Consultation Services

• 2.  RE:randomization question

Posted 08-14-2013 14:50
    As a clarification, you say "The patient completed 2 sessions of treatment " as well as "The decision was made not to start treatment".
    Am I correct in assuming that the first statement should be 'The patient completed 2 sessions' as "the treatment starts at session 3"?

John Dawson
    Postdoctoral Scholar
    University of Alabama at Birmingham

• 3.  RE:randomization question

Posted 08-14-2013 14:52
    Yes, that's right. The first two sessions are psychoeducation and history taking.  Thanks for clarifying.

Lisa Spielman

• 4.  RE:randomization question

Posted 08-14-2013 15:03
    Strict adherence to the intent-to-treat principle would require retaining the Site 1 randomization and implementing that treatment at Site 2.  There are arguments that could be made the other way, especially if the randomization is stratified by site and possible other covariates, since it's implausible that the patient would be prompted to get a new job and move in response to the initial randomized treatment assignment. :-)   Still, unless there's a very strong counterargument, I suggest sticking to the originally assigned treatment.

Peter Imrey
    Staff
    Cleveland Clinic

• 5.  RE:randomization question

Posted 08-14-2013 15:06
    How difficult is it to recruit subjects?  In one sense, removing this person from the experiment might be optimal. 

David Mangen

• 6.  RE:randomization question

Posted 08-14-2013 16:10
    Unfortunately it's a challenging population to recruit and retain, so removing him isn't an option.

Lisa Spielman

• 7.  RE:randomization question

Posted 08-14-2013 16:24
    Lisa, First, I'm not sure there is a right answer -- so an argument can be made for either.

In the world of Intent-to-treat (ITT) being king I would favor preserving the original randomization.  I know it is a little bit different than most ITT cases, but that first randomizations dictating everything seems very appropriate.  The person is now receiving treatmnet elsewhere -- otherwise is acting as randomized.

Re-randomizing brings with it questions and possible slippery slopes -- if I dont like my randomization I can go to a new site and possibly get the one I want?  Even if this is unlikely it raises questions.  I think the former idea is the cleanest.

--Scott

BTW, It would be better for all if they werent randomized until just before visit number 3 -- that way a drop out can easily be ignored, and things like this are much easier to handle...  Now a drop out after visit 2 is a big pain -- needlessly...

Scott Berry
    Berry Consultants

• 8.  RE:randomization question

Posted 08-14-2013 17:31
    Lisa, I'm not sure there is right answer either.  I would definitely not re-randomize. The mechanism for getting them into the study is randomization, and that has occurred. As Scott mentioned, having the randomization occur at visit 3 would have been preferred.  However, it's too late and there may have been reasons for this design. 

They can get the treatment at the new site but it has to be the treatment to which they were randomized.  I don't think it's necessary to ship the medication so long as you can ensure the treatment received is the one they were randomized to.  If this was a central randomization that should be no trouble - if it's not a central randomization that may be more difficult.  The new site would get the treatment information from the central randomization, and they'd be told what kit to use (if drug is shipped) or the pharmacy at the new site would be given instructions so the correct treatment is given at the new site.  Having said that, shipping the drug from the pharmacy at the original site still preserves the correct treatment, which is the primary concern. 
    Kevin Lawson
    Director, Biostatistics
    PPD

• 9.  RE:randomization question

Posted 08-14-2013 16:26
    This subject was enrolled and randomized at Site 1.  The intervention (treatment) from Site 1 should be sent to Site 2 for continuation at the subject's next visit.  The intervention accountability log should be updated to indicate this shipment from Site 1 and updated accordingly for receipt at Site 2, and a copy sent to the Sponsor.  A transfer form should be completed to record this transfer of a subject.  A shadow copy of this subject's source records and forms should be made and shipped to Site 2, but the original records must also be maintained at Site 1 for this Subject per the Sponsor requirements at the end of the study.  All queries and data questions up to the time of transfer will be handled by Site 1, and those data collected at Site 2 will be handled by that site for query resolution.  This delegation of responsibility would be the same for any auditing purposes as well.

Nicole C. Close, PhD
    President and Principal Biostatistician
    EmpiriStat, Inc

• 10.  RE:randomization question

Posted 08-14-2013 15:02
    In the Pediatric Oncology Group (1980-2000 before it meged with the Children's Cancer Group) to become the Children's Oncology Group, we had a formal system for transfers.  The fist institution is responsible for the subject initially.  There was a formal transfer process where a formal agreement is made that the patient is released by the first institution and the second becomes responsible for the patient.  Capitation is affected and Quality Assurance penalties and rewards for the patient go with the accepting institution, regardless of where the bad or good occurred.  Refusal to accept the patient, while on active treatment,  put the patient off study, as protocol mandated follow-up was not allowed outside the group umbrella. 

Good statistical practice is that a patient is on their assigned treatment.  Re-randomization under any circumstance should not be done.

Also, I strongly recommend randomizing only at the point of divergence of the treatments.  This is especially true if the study is open label as our cancer studies were.  If open label, it is unacceptable to start the clock at the time of divergence wen the randomization occurred earlier.  One example would be 6 eweeks of chemo, then randomize to radiation  (XRT) or not following chemo.  Events during these 6 weeks may seem like noise, but they are not.  Within the scope of the protocol, the chemo might be pushed harder for those ot destined to get XRT.  That could make a difference in the outcomes of the first 6 weeks and beyond that are confounders caused by this poor design.  Randomizing to XRT at the 6 week point cures this.  

Jon Shuster
    Jon Shuster
    University of Florida

• 11.  RE:randomization question

Posted 08-14-2013 22:31
    Yes, having a formal and codified method for transfer of participant is a very good idea. In several trials that I was a part of, we had a formal transfer process. This ensured that the patient care was not interrupted, and that the patient would not withdraw from the study (and of course, patients can withdraw consent).

In all transfer processes, the process was initiated by the previous location. The initiation of the process would notify the DCC and the receiving or final location. Prior to the tranfer being complete, a response was required by the receiving location. This ensured that no one was unaware of the process.

For trials with short participation times, this is probably unnecessary. For trials with long interactions, I would think it quite necessary.

I would certainly in this case NOT RERANDOMIZE. The participant is in the clinical trial and not in the clinical trial at a location. The location is generally not a key factor, at least we hope not. Thus, transfer from one location to another should change nothing of the treatment. In particular, the ITT principle means that the participant is treated in the manner into which the randomization puts her. Under no circumstances would I rerandomize. In the matter of the medication, it depends on the status of the medication. Trials that I have participated in have a method of "returning allocated but undispensed medication" to inventory (that is, medication lots that have been assigned to the patient but not given physically can be returned to inventory). On the other hand, if the medication must be retained, there are many secure methods of sending the medication. Finally, unless there is a large cost or a problem of quantity, the medication at Location 1 can be simply discarded and new medication assigned and given at Location 2.
    Paul Thompson
    Director, Methodology and Data Analysis Center
    Sanford Research/USD

• 12.  RE:randomization question

Posted 08-15-2013 10:24
    Thank you all for your thoughtful and helpful responses.  I agree that re-randomization is not an option and had planned to advise accordingly.  As far as I know, there is no formal transfer process in place - many of you made extremely helpful suggestions in that regard.  I'll work with the PIs and Sponsor to create a procedure.

Thanks again,
    Lisa

Lisa Spielman