Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Potential Masters Notebook articles

Posted 03-21-2016 17:08

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to give you an update on the interest from the Section on Statistical Consulting about publishing an article. Here are the responses I have so far.

Mary Crissey

for the past 2 years i have been employed at a consulting firm focused on helping LAWYERS present TRUTH with accurate and statistically verified data.

I have a Master of science degree in Operations research and management Science and spent 7 years employed with SAS promoting their analytic software.
    will share real world successes
    Andrew Ekstrom

I am a graduate student in a pair of MS programs. One is in Business Analytics and U of Mich Dearborn. The other is an MA in Applied Stats at EMU. On top of that, I already have an MS in applied and computational mathematics from U of M-Dearborn.

Already has 2 Master's degrees. One master’s degree is in Applied and Computational Mathematics. the second Master’s degree, I had to combine coursework from 2 different master’s degrees into one.

still working out the topic: maybe something like "What makes a statistician?"

1)      Some places don’t care what you know. Only the type of degree is important.

2)      Some places feel experience in a multitude of areas is important and won’t consider you otherwise.

3)      Data scientists use DBMS systems for data analysis; Statisticians believe using your desktop for everything is the right way to go, for everything.

Justin Dvorak I completed my M.S. in Biostatistics last May and will be starting my Ph.D. this fall.  Much of my work involves data management and developing automation algorithms for data cleaning, merging, and analysis.  Because of my computer-science background, I am interested in factors that may influence a student’s conceptualization of statistical programming, e.g., software packages used, programs of instruction, or even previous programming coursework.

In my experience, statistics students are expected to pick up programming along the way, sometimes with a formal series of lectures, but this can leave gaps in their mental models of common programming concepts.  There is also the issue of efficiency, which is of particular importance in conducting simulation studies.  The differences in speed between thoughtful, well-written code and cargo-cult programming can often be measured in orders of magnitude.  Finally, demonstrable coding experience can provide an advantage for graduates entering the job market.

In summary, students of statistics (at all levels) could do with more exposure to programming, for both academic and practical purposes. This article will highlight ways to acquire said exposure and give an accessible overview of key programming concepts for statistics and data science.

Marie Oldfield just finishing Master's degree something non-technical about unequal sample sizes and increasing power in studies
    Jonathan Moscovici I am currently a CRO biostatistician 3 years out of my masters degree and having left a phd program to pursue this path. This profession was not well known to me as a student, and so a few words about what I've seen in the industry so far might help current students in some way.
    Nestor Rohowsky

I received my Master's degree in January, 1981. During 1981-2 I was enrolled in a PhD program in statistics which I never completed due to various aspects of life getting in the way.

This May I will complete 34 years providing statistical service to the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device industries. Initially I was employed by several companies. Beginning in mid-1995 I've owned and served as principal consultant for a small statistics consulting company, a position I continue in. 

The gist of my proposed article is to briefly describe my career and to use my own history to illustrate how someone with a Master's can advance in rank and responsibility within industry to the point where he or she can make the leap to becoming an independent statistical consultant providing solid practical advice followed-up by hands-on delivery of results. There is also the opportunity to work in areas where Master's-level statisticians are not usually thought of as a viable resource. 

I will keep you updated.

------------------------------
    Charles Kincaid
    Engagement Director
    Experis Business Analytics
    chuck.kincaid@experis.com
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Potential Masters Notebook articles

Posted 03-25-2016 09:13

That's fantastic news Chuck, great idea to email the whole section.

Erin