ASA Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

• 1.  UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-22-2017 15:07

Dear ASA Members,

A blogpost four years ago: "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

http://www.datasciencecentral.com/m/blogpost?id=6448529%3ABlogPost%3A64495

"50 Years of Data Science" by Professor David Donoho two years ago:

https://www.r-statistics.com/2016/01/50-years-of-data-science-by-david-donoho

http://courses.csail.mit.edu/18.337/2015/docs/50YearsDataScience.pdf

The author wrote: "A recent and growing phenomenon is the emergence of 'Data Science' programs at major universities, including UC Berkeley, NYU, MIT, and most recently the Univ. of Michigan, which on September 8, 2015 announced a $100M "Data Science Initiative" that will hire 35 new faculty. Teaching in these new programs has significant overlap in curricular subject matter with traditional statistics courses; in general, though, the new initiatives steer away from close involvement with academic statistics departments."

ASA's Statement two years ago:

http://magazine.amstat.org/blog/2015/10/01/asa-statement-on-the-role-of-statistics-in-data-science

Your thoughts on this topic?

Kind regards,

Kelly

• 2.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-23-2017 06:47
    Please also see the Guidelines for Undergraduate Programs in Data Science written last summer and endorsed by the ASA here at the Annual Review of Statistics and its Application (http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/10.1146/annurev-statistics-060116-053930). There is also a detailed set of syllabi for proposed future courses for a Data Science major: http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/suppl/10.1146/annurev-statistics-060116-053930/suppl_file/st04_de_veaux_supmat.pdf   Feedback welcome!

------------------------------
    Dick De Veaux
    Williams College
    Past Chair, SLDS section

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-23-2017 09:44
    Edited by Kelly Zou 08-23-2017 09:52

There is a new doctorate program in data science starting at NYU. "New York University is stepping into the breach by starting a doctoral program in data science in September to shape the emerging discipline. It's one of the first such programs in the nation and builds on master's degrees at NYU and other schools. MIT is gearing up a doctoral degree that includes data science, and Harvard plans to jump into the field with a master's program in 2018."

In this article, Ron of the ASA was quoted by saying "While he sees data science emerging as a separate discipline, some academics are less certain and consider it a combined set of skills and ideas drawn from computer science and statistics, he said."

However, "NYU professors discussed this question at length and decided that data science is sufficiently distinct from computer science and statistics and deserves its own academic center... The field incorporates everything from linguistics and psychology to neurology." It may be interesting to hear some thoughts of these professors.

Link: https://www-sfgate-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/www.sfgate.com/business/amp/Wall-Street-s-hunger-for-data-scientists-fed-by-11950907.php

Dear ASA Members,

A blogpost four years ago: "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

http://www.datasciencecentral.com/m/blogpost?id=6448529%3ABlogPost%3A64495

"50 Years of Data Science" by Professor David Donoho two years ago:

https://www.r-statistics.com/2016/01/50-years-of-data-science-by-david-donoho

http://courses.csail.mit.edu/18.337/2015/docs/50YearsDataScience.pdf

The author wrote: "A recent and growing phenomenon is the emergence of 'Data Science' programs at major universities, including UC Berkeley, NYU, MIT, and most recently the Univ. of Michigan, which on September 8, 2015 announced a $100M "Data Science Initiative" that will hire 35 new faculty. Teaching in these new programs has significant overlap in curricular subject matter with traditional statistics courses; in general, though, the new initiatives steer away from close involvement with academic statistics departments."

ASA's Statement two years ago:

http://magazine.amstat.org/blog/2015/10/01/asa-statement-on-the-role-of-statistics-in-data-science

Your thoughts on this topic?

Kind regards,

Kelly

• 4.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-24-2017 21:32

https://www.infoworld.com/article/3190008/big-data/3-reasons-why-data-scientist-remains-the-top-job-in-america.html

Glassdoor recently revealed its report highlighting the 50 best jobs in America, and unsurprisingly, data scientist claimed the top spot for the second year in a row.

Statistics from rjmetrics.com show that there were anywhere from 11,400 to 19,400 data scientists in 2015, and over 50% of those roles were filled in the last four years.

A quick search for data scientist jobs in the United States on LinkedIn reveals over 13,700 open positions.  

• 5.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-23-2017 19:20
    "Jack of all trades, master of none." Is the appropriate quote for Data Science. Data Science purports to cover Programming, Data Base development, and Statistical Analysis.

I have worked in all those fields in my 40+ years as a stats guy and it is the extremely rare person who can do all of those things well without having spent years working in each area. I have no problem with having a Data Science team with an experienced leader who designates experts in each of those three areas for the appropriate development. 

Certainly, DS does not mean the end of Statistics.

Beware the Data Scientist who claims to be able to:
    •  develop complex DB's, 
    • write programs that can create that DB and generate reports from that DB AND
    •  do complex statistical analysis of that data.

DS is an appropriate field of study or for a survey course; however, if someone only gets an MS in DS then I suspect they will not be able to do any one of those three things very well. I think we can all agree that a Masters in Stats does not guarantee an expert analyst, it prepares in someone ready for an entry level position. If I were still working, I would never hire someone with a DS degree for an analyst position nor, I suspect, would a programming manager hire them for a programming position. Same for a Data Base manager.

I would recommend colleges have survey courses in DS, with appropriate deeper levels of study in one of the three specialties. Ar maybe something like a DS degree with required specialties in one of the three areas of study.

Mi
    ​​
    chael L. Mout, MS, Cstat, Csci
    MIKS & Assoc. - Senior Consultant/Owner
    4957 Gray Goose Ln, Ladson, SC 29456
    804-314-5147(Mbl), 843-871-3039 (Home)

• 6.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-24-2017 02:25
    There are several large companies by me that will not hire statisticians for their data analysts roles. I even know one that fired statisticians from data analyst roles.

It comes down to the jack of all trades co,mentioned you made. The data analysts at the companies need to understand how database systems work. Statisticians do not. The analysts need to understand how data structures and algorithms work. Statisticians do not. Some of the best data scientists I have seen can use a tablet to analyze 100,000,000+ rows of unstructured data. I don't know of a statistician that can. Most of the analyses these companies want or need is basic stuff on a grand scale. Not SEM on a small scale. 

As someone coming to statistics and data science from outside of mathematics and comp sci, I wouldn't feel comfortable hiring most of my former classmates for any type of analyses. They don't understand where the data comes from. They don't understand how the data is used. They also tend to fear finding things out.

If I want quality improvement in my hospital, I'm hiring industrial engineers and data scientists. If I want to explore genomic sequences, I'm hiring bioinformatics experts and data scientists. If I need to map the brain, I'm hiring a data scientist. If I need a bunch of routine analyses run on data, I'll hire an app developer or software engineer to make my analyses easier and potentially automatic.

Does statistics have its place in data science? Yes. Should statisticians learn more about programming, algorithms, data structures, databases, etc? Yes. Should companies hire statisticians as data analysts?  Yes... (Provided they will use the software and hardware tools given to them. Meaning, they use database programs for database stuff and stats programs for stats stuff.) In most cases, does a company need a team of PhD level statisticians? No. Should they have a few, just in case things get tricky? Yes... maybe. (There is always an option of hiring a consultant for such situations.) Can a good data scientist do most of the things a statistician will do? Yes. Can a good statistician do all the things a data scientist can do? Ford, GM, Chrysler, Quicken Loans, Little Ceasaers, Domino's Pizza, among others don't think so. They need a jack of all trades so they can be flexible and nimble.

Andrew Ekstrom

Statistician, Chemist, HPC Abuser;-)

• 7.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-25-2017 02:32
    Andrew, I understand your point.  But I would like to note one thing, regarding the following in your comments: "Most of the analyses these companies want or need is basic stuff on a grand scale."  That's fine, for many to be a 'jack of all trades,' and I know that historically statisticians may sometimes not have gotten involved enough in subject matter. But it is a bit of a concern if not enough people understand how statistics 'works.'  That is, good application may require some understanding of theory.  Too many 'black boxes' sounds like a recipe for disaster at some point.  You don't want a world such as the future in Time Machine where people push buttons, but don't understand the systems crumbling around them.  

Cheers 

James Knaub
    Lead Mathematical Statistician
    Retired

• 8.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-26-2017 01:51
    Hey James, 

What constitutes a black box?

If we ask the question, "What algorithm does your software use to determine the coefficients in a multiple linear regression?", if someone gets the answer wrong, does that make the software a black box? ( I doubt most statisticians know what the software is actually doing.) While there are many ways to get the "answer". Good software will use variants of 1 method. 

If I talk about why Microsoft R Open is far superior to standard R or the Intel Distribution of Python is better than standard Python, how many statisticians understand why the Intel MKL is better than the standard math libraries? How many will reject Microsoft R Open or Intel's distribution of Python because some corporation touched them, as opposed to using them and enjoying the benefits?

Most of us don't know what our software is doing in the background. we put in the data, we use some lines of code, a result pops out and we accept the result. How is not knowing what the software is doing in a regression analysis different from not knowing what the software is doing in a random forest algorithm? There are textbooks and courses on the algorithms of both methods. How "black box" can they be?

Andrew Ekstrom

• 9.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-28-2017 12:16

Interesting reading below, with well-known discussants!

Statistical Modeling: The Two Cultures – by Leo Breiman

"There are two cultures in the use of statistical modeling to reach conclusions from data. One assumes that the data are generated by a given stochastic data model. The other uses algorithmic models and treats the data mechanism as unknown. The statistical community has been committed to the almost exclusive use of data models. This commitment has led to irrelevant theory, questionable conclusions, and has kept statisticians from working on a large range of interesting current problems. Algorithmic modeling, both in theory and practice, has developed rapidly in fields outside statistics. It can be used both on large complex data sets and as a more accurate and informative alternative to data modeling on smaller data sets. If our goal as a field is to use data to solve problems, then we need to move away from exclusive dependence on data models and adopt a more diverse set of tools."

Link: https://projecteuclid.org/download/pdf_1/euclid.ss/1009213726

• 10.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-31-2017 10:34
    Following up on this thread:

This morning, a collection of papers on Practical Data Science for Statisticians has appeared on PeerJ (Preprint services) and will be in a special issue of The American Statistician next year.

Those following this discussion may be interested in these...many examples, and perspectives.  Many thanks to Jenny Bryan and Hadley Wickham for coordinating!

Lance Waller
    Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics
    Rollins School of Public Health
    Emory University

This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of
    the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
    information. If the reader of this message is not the intended
    recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
    or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly
    prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please contact
    the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the
    original message (including attachments).

• 11.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-28-2017 12:29

Forbes article earlier this year:

IBM Predicts Demand For Data Scientists Will Soar 28% By 2020

https://www.forbes.com/sites/louiscolumbus/2017/05/13/ibm-predicts-demand-for-data-scientists-will-soar-28-by-2020/#41da05b57e3b

·       Jobs requiring machine learning skills are paying an average of $114,000. Advertised data scientist jobs pay an average of $105,000 and advertised data engineering jobs pay an average of $117,000.

·       59% of all Data Science and Analytics (DSA) job demand is in Finance and Insurance, Professional Services, and IT.

·       Annual demand for the fast-growing new roles of data scientist, data developers, and data engineers will reach nearly 700,000 openings by 2020.

·       By 2020, the number of jobs for all US data professionals will increase by 364,000 openings to 2,720,000 according to IBM.

·       Data Science and Analytics (DSA) jobs remain open an average of 45 days, five days longer than the market average.

• 12.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 09-01-2017 10:41

You may find these whimsical sketches and great slides on big data interesting!

https://www.optum.com/campaign/ls-cb/life-sciences-day-2017/recap.html

Enjoy your Labor Day long weekend!

• 13.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-25-2017 09:53

For what it's worth, I think that there is no single definition of data scientist (or data analyst) nor is there an agreed upon understanding of the skills and capabilities that a data scientist should have.  Out of curiosity, I reviewed some job postings for data scientists (not data analysts) at some companies and they all followed a similar pattern: they want a person who

-understands database structures and can use some database query language (SQL or variants)
    -understands and has developed algorithms (statistical algorithms and machine learning algorithms predominantly)
    -some experience with Hadoop (not always required but seems to be pretty common requirement)
    -uses statistical software (R primarily, SAS a distant second)
    -experience with Python
    -worked with very large datasets/databases
    -understands statistical methodology
    -can develop presentations and communicate results

All for some person with a bachelor's degree with not many years of experience.

It seems to me that what is being described as desirable is a unicorn. I think there are people with decades of experience in these areas who could fit the bill but I suspect that the companies would balk at the cost to hire them.  What these companies need is a team-based approach with people who specialize in different areas.

p.s. I'd like to disagree with your contention that statisticians don't need to understand how data structures and algorithms work. It may be that statisticians of the most recent vintage aren't being trained on those topics for their degrees but I was required to take several courses on statistical computing (undergraduate, masters, and ph.d. courses.) These courses were primarily focused on algorithms and not data structures but I also took electives on data structures. I suspect the reason for this training is that, before statistical software became ubiquitous and freely available and before computers had a substantial out of memory and computing power, a lot of time was spent implementing various statistical methods and algorithms by hand.

David Wilson, Ph.D.
    Director, Statistics
    RTI, International

• 14.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-26-2017 02:02
    David,

What you described is actually what a BS student in Data Science at The University of Michigan Dearborn will learn. Though, they will spend more time learning Python than R or SAS. In fact, if a student got a BS Minor in Data Science (if one existed) at U of M - Dearborn, they would cover all the topics you discussed. 

An MS student in Data Science at U of M-Dearborn and Wayne State University will actually cover the same material too. They are not experts in any one area. But, they are well versed in all those areas. 

An interesting dynamic is that Data Science from a Comp Sci department will use Python. If the come from a stats department, they tend to use R.

Andrew Ekstrom

• 15.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-31-2017 18:54
    Something else to think about when it comes to Data Structures and Algorithms, which gets to my point about statisticians not understanding what the computers are doing:

1) Suppose that you need to join data tables that are 10,000,000 tuples in size. The primary key is a numerical value 1 to 10,000,000. What does basic software do as the first step of a join? How many ways can you speed up this? How many ways can you perform this process using less RAM? How can you do both? What are the limits of these new methods?

2) How does your software sort data?

3) What method does software use to determine the coefficients for a regression analysis? What about a multiple linear regression? What is another way to do this? Which one is easier to run on a computer via code?

4) What is the BigO notaion for nested loops? 

5) Can you use a multi-threading process to make any of these faster?

Andrew Ekstrom

• 16.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-25-2017 10:53
    This is a really good discussion thread, and the "big tent" conclusions that most are drawing appeals to me.  In my experience, data scientists are more like engineers - they may have a specialty and be adept in one or more areas others have described, but they are primarily integrators:   they are familiar with the business/engineering/physical processes that generate the data to begin with, where data custody changes or and/or who can alter data along the supply chain; they can espouse and champion proper storage, handling and transfer/access to various downstream teams doing data analysis, model building & testing, and so on to implementation, decision-making, monitoring, reporting and escalation.  They can conduct the multi-functional ensemble of specialists that may be needed to properly manage all of this.  It is a holistic role, like that of a process or systems engineer.  Some statisticians - particularly in smaller organizations - have probably worn these many hats because they had to.  Having such resources available to statisticians (and vice versa) will ultimately improve the work-product of everyone.  Parochial statisticians will be more mindful of the wing-to-wing process to which they're contributing.  My viewpoint is chiefly from industrial & commercial activity.

Tim Keyes
    Principal
    Evergreen Business Analytics, LLC

• 17.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-24-2017 08:59

Well stated, Michael Mout!

image001.png@01CFC3A2.1385D550

Connect with us online!
    image002.png@01CFC3A2.1385D550 image003.jpg@01CFC3A2.1385D550 image004.jpg@01CFC3A2.1385D550image005.png@01CFC3A2.1385D550Twitter-icon

Stephanie L. Cano, PhD
    Director of Statistical Consulting

Analytic Focus, LLC
    11467 Huebner Road, Suite 200
    San Antonio, TX 78230

o:  210.641.2817  f:  210.641.9892

s.cano@analyticfocus.com
    www.AnalyticFocus.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, intended only for the addressee(s), is confidential and may contain certain personal and/or privileged information. Any dissemination or use of this e-mail by anyone other than an intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you are not a named recipient, you are prohibited from any further viewing of the e-mail or any attachments or from making any use of the e-mail or attachments. If you believe you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail, any attachments, and all copies thereof from any drives or storage media and destroy any printouts of the e-mail or attachments.

• 18.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-24-2017 10:24
    ​What Kelly and others provided for DS program are excellent, and a lot of people are working on it. As Michael and Andrew pointed out, it is not going to work if we are trying to make a jack of all trades after undergraduate. It may be better to specialize.

Yes, data scientists are in need for sure. But what are we expecting for the data scientists to do at work? Develop database, manage the data and analyze the data as needed (okay, each one of them needs to be defined)? We may have to clarity this first to start. Do we expect them to analyze the data and make a final report? I do not. I would rather to have them develop database, and manage the data, pulling some of data and cleaning them, for statisticians to work on them accordingly. Yet, if the DS understands some stats so that he knows what the statistician is asking data for, that will be great. Even within stats, we know how deep we have to go into based on the subject area, which will apply to a DS.

Hope this helps those who develop the program.

Gideon Bahn
    Biostatistician at Hines VA Hospital
    Research Assistant Professor at Loyola University Chicago

• 19.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-25-2017 08:37
    I would say we are witnessing a fracture in epistemology. When data were few and expensive, data collected prospectively within an experimental design, where the design is the epistemological guide to understanding, have rise to statistics in order to understand the boundaries inherent the single experiment. Now, data are cheap and plentiful, but the informing guide of the experimental design is missing to be replaced by the transactional context in which the data were collected. The needs for "statistics", the methods used for experimental/quasi-experimental data vanish to be replaced by the "statistics" of the data scientist. 
    Since many professions go through such periods of differentiation, I think we can reasonably expect that this division today will become an integration of these two avenues to understanding in the future. We just don't what that will look like yet.

Donald J McMahon
    Columbia University
    Department of Medicine
    Retired

• 20.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-27-2017 21:06

Dear All,

Thank you for this discussion. I'd like to point out that some of these issues were addressed in last year's workshop of statistics and biostatistics department chairs: https://www.amstat.org/ASA/Meetings/Department-Chairs-Workshop.aspx. Dave Hunter shared the link to the new whitepaper last week: https://www.amstat.org/asa/files/pdfs/Chairsworkshop/WhitePaper.pdf.

Some of the videos may also be relevant to this discussion, particularly the ones by CMU Dean of Computer Science Andrew Moore, NCSU's Michael Rappa, and Winona State's Chris Malone. I highlight the last two because of their Master's and BA programs, respectively, on data science/analytics that were started from scratch. All the videos are linked form the first URL above. I  found the Andrew Moore presentation particularly inspiring for their approach to bring many disciplines together to tackle challenging problems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aTBGDh8D78&index=7&list=PL9G4n1wtRTDTqwdSu8GhoqYIEIDkfHYMi

Best,

Steve

Steve Pierson
    Director of Science Policy
    American Statistical Association

• 21.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-28-2017 07:51
    Let me provide some thoughts from my perspective.

I've recently transitioned from academia to industry and my title in the industry is "Data Scientist" in healthcare. 

As everyone know, there is no unique way to define data science. Statisticians think they are data scientist while CS folks think they are. 

I would not go into the debate. 

I was trained as an "Applied Statistician" in a developing country back in late nineties. When we were undergrads, we had "pure stat" people  who used to downplay us because we focused more on applications than on theory. For us (Applied Statisticians), now it is easier to align with the theme of data science than those "pure stat" group. Honestly, we were trained to use data to bring insights. We were trained not only to fit a model and know how it works but also to communicate in non-technical terms. This is what my understanding 20 years later. And I am not exaggerating. 

Let me clarify one thing--data scientists do not necessarily design the databases. It is the data engineers who do that. Most large organizations have their separate team of engineers who develop and maintain the data-science platforms (DBs,Hadoop, etc.).

Do the statisticians need to know a bit of database? Yes, basic understanding is good enough. Most of the time all you will do is join some tables. For that you need to understand basics and you do not have to be a data architect for that. If you are working in a startup company, then you may be required to understand in greater depth, though. 

How big of a deal knowing how to efficiently join tables? Not at all. Anyone with a decent knowledge about data can do it with some reading and practice. 

In my work, I find statistics invaluable although most of the time we do not use many advanced techniques. 

How media is portraying data science (such as deep learning) is what perhaps 1% of all the analytics an organization needs. Many large organizations do not hire people to do that. They purchase a solution for that as that is more cost-effective. For day to work where deep learning doesn't work, they need analytic people, aka statisticians. 

In summary, the problems that data science try to solve are, most of the times, different than the problems that statisticians can solve. Being on both sides of the isle I can see how they can complement each other and how they both are relevant.

Enayetur Raheem, PhD
    Data Scientist (HealthCare)

• 22.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-25-2017 02:42
    Yes, Michael Mout's idea of a DS with a specialty sounds promising.

James Knaub
    Lead Mathematical Statistician
    Retired

• 23.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-29-2017 08:38
    I am not a statistician by degree.

I have watched similar efforts at our school.  I cannot help but feel it is old wine in new bottles.  I see several departments wanting involvement in data analysis in what they feel is a hot job market.  I fail to see how it is really any different from applied statistics.
    The world has always valued people who are clever with data.  Right now there is a lot of hype and wild claims of how you don't need knowledge of the data, just software.  I was trained as a sociologist and demographer.  In my day if you had 1,000 variables you were called lazy.
    I am being purposely provocative and cynical.  I think there needs to be some push back from the statisticians.  This field is ripe for misuse of statistics.

Thomas Ilvento
    University of Delaware

• 24.  RE: UPDATED: Your Thoughts on this Topic - "Data Science: The End of Statistics?"

Posted 08-30-2017 13:59
    Dears,

As I remember, it took quite a while to recognize Statistics away from Mathematics. I believe putting Statistics under the cover again is not a good way to go.
    Data Science could be labelled as a major under Statistics, that has many topics to offer as a Science by itself. Thank you all.

[Mohammed] [Shayib]
    [Associate Professor]
    Prairie View A & M UniversityMohammed