2023 Mentoring Program

2023 JSM Diversity Mentoring Program

What is DMP 2023? 

The 2023 Diversity Mentoring Program (DMP) brings historically-underrepresented BIPOC (African/African-American, Hispanic/Latino, and Native American) graduate and undergraduate students, post-doctoral scholars, and junior professionals together with senior-level statisticians and faculty in academia, government, and the private sector in a structured program at the annual Joint Statistical Meetings (JSM). Check out last year's program to see what the event is like here. This year Dr. Prince Allotey and Dr. Adeniyi Adewale are co-vice chairs of the 2023 DMP.

When is DMP 2023? 

August 6-9, 2023

Where is DMP 2023? 

Toronto, Ontario Canada

What is the program for DMP 2023? 

The full program book can be viewed here. The schedule at-a-glance is embedded below.

DMP 2023 Short Program

How can I join DMP 2023?

If you are early career (e.g., a student, post-doctoral scholar, junior professional) there are two ways that you can participate.

• Participate as an attendee: complete this Attendance Only Application. The form will close mid-July.
  • Participate as an attendee and potentially be matched with a mentor: The form is now closed (deadline was May 31st). We will notify applicants of the outcome of your application by mid-June. We will do our best to match as many mentee applicants with mentors.
If you are a mid-career or advanced-career individual, then you can participate by becoming a a mentor. Note, mentors are not required to attend DMP 2023, but you are welcome to join the program. The form is now closed. 

Can I get funding to participate in DMP 2023?

Anyone who fills out the Attendance and Mentee Application will  automatically be considered for a funding award to cover all or as much of your expenses for participating in DMP 2023 and JSM 2023 as possible. We will notify you about funding awards when we notify you about your application (around mid-June).

What is JSM? And how is DMP related?

The Joint Statistical Meetings (JSM) is a conference hosted through the coordination of several professional statistics societies.  The Diversity Mentoring Program (DMP) is a separate program that is held at the same time and location as JSM, and we do our best to avoid scheduling DMP events at the same time as JSM events. You do not need to participate in JSM in order to participate in DMP.

Specifically,

• You do not need to register for JSM to be part of DMP.
  • You do not need to attend any JSM events in order to attend DMP programming.

Who do I contact if I have questions?

Dr. Madhu Mazumdar