ENVR Mentoring at JSM 2022

ENVR has been offering the Mentoring Roundtables for Graduate Students since 2017. This event is usually organized together with other ENVR activities at JSM annually. It is designed to encourage diverse participation and engage graduate students who may not normally have access to or interaction with more senior, advanced-career members of the ENVR community.

2022's event is virtual and attendance at JSM is not required.  Interested in learning about environmental statistics but not an ENVR member?  Membership in ENVR is not required - come learn about ENVR and meet members from it's community! 

To attend, email ENVR JSM Program-Chair Elect Eric Gilleland: ericg@ucar.edu Include a brief list of work or research interests.

This year, will ENVR host this roundtable Mentoring session virtually on August 9, 2022 at 12-1:20pmpm Eastern. Dr. David Clifford from Mineral, X, Dr. Brian Reich from North Carolina State University, Dr. Lyndsay Shand from Sandia National Laboratory, and Dr. Maria Terres from Waymo.

LShand BReich MTerres David Clifford
Lyndsay Shand
Sandia National Labs
Brian Reich
North Carolina State University
Maria Terres
Waymo
David Clifford
Mineral, X

The event will begin with a panel discussion with the students and all of the mentors before breaking out into small group sessions that were formed to foster engagement and maximize participation. Mentors will share with students their experience across academics, industry, and national laboratories. They will also provide suggestions on how students can prepare themselves during graduate school, including gaining experience via internship and building skill sets, including experience with programming tools and software development.  Students are encouraged to ask questions on a vast number of topics.

Students’ feedback from the 2021 ENVR Mentoring Roundtable (with 2021 Mentors Maggie Johnson, Steve Sain, Ben Shaby):

• It was great to get different perspectives from statisticians working in environmental applications.
  • I really loved the structure and different career tracks represented. I liked how there was a general discussion with the large group and then breakouts for smaller groups. The size of the smaller groups (2-3 people) was also perfect, as it gave everyone a chance to ask questions.
  • I really enjoyed having such personal conversations with statisticians from three different work settings and hearing their interactions. I also thought the platform was great and enabled a nice atmosphere, as close to a conference feeling as you can make online! *
  • The session was very interesting and interactive. The mentors shared their experiences and opinions about the available opportunities in industry as well as in academic field. That helped a lot for me to reconsider my future career plans.

* This event was held via the online social gathering platform, Wonder.