Please note that the Parameter will be taking a summer vacation during June and July. The next issue will be e-mailed in August, so stay tuned!
Summer is on its way - be sure to enjoy the sights Chicago has to offer!
Great News for Statistical College Students!
Starting Fall 2010, SAS software will available free of charge to 200 colleges/universities! Students and faculty members will be able to access a web-based version of the program called SAS OnDemand for Academics from any computer with an internet connection.
For schools that have a limited number of copies of SAS or those that simply don't have the extra funding for the program, free access to SAS will change the dynamics of the classroom.
To read more about this new development, check out this eSchool News article.
For screenshots and to view further benefits of the SAS program, visit the company's website.
Market Update from the Editor
As predicted, jobs have returned - especially for highly-skilled quantitative and marketing research professionals. Business is up and big companies, consulting firms, advertising agencies, research groups, even start ups are scrambling to build and rebuild staff. This is creating an uptick in turnover not seen in nearly two years, and the momentum is growing...
To read the rest of Editor Linda Burtch's market update, visit her blog.
Two Job Opportunities
Data Mining Analyst/Statistician
TrustSolutions is a wholly owned subsidiary of Government Health Services, LLC, and is part of the WellPoint family of companies. TrustSolutions holds a Medicare Program Safeguard contract with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to help reduce fraud and abuse in the Medicare Program. Headquartered in Milwaukee, Wis., TrustSolutions also has offices in Illinois, Indiana, and Virginia.
Bring your expertise to our innovative, achievement-driven culture, and you will discover lasting rewards and the opportunity to take your career further than you can imagine.
Responsible for assisting with the development and execution of data mining analyses to enhance reporting functionality and identify data relationships and patterns. This position will support a Medicare DME workload (primary), in addition to Medicare Parts A and B. Essential duties to include, but are not limited to:
· Extracts and collects data for performing queries and writing reports.
· Establishes knowledge of data warehouse database design, data definitions, system capabilities, SQL, SAS, and GQL and data integrity issues.
· May be involved with new development of standardized reporting using the data warehouse, in addition to adhoc reports.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· BS/BA, or equivalent combination of education and experience, and up to 2 years experience required.
· A Master's degree in Statistics or related discipline is preferred, but not required.
· PC, spreadsheet, and database skills are preferred, as well as programming education or experience in SQL, GQL, SAS, VB, JCL and Business Objects.
· Experience with Medicare is strongly preferred!
For immediate consideration please log on to www.WellPoint.com/careers and search for Job Number: 44780. There you will be able to submit your resume and complete their pre-screen questions.
At Harris Bank we have been helping our customers and communities for over 125 years. Working with us means being part of a team of talented, passionate individuals with a shared focus on working together to deliver great customer experiences. We stand behind your success with the support you need to turn your potential into performance.
Harris is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diversity, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. This position provides high level and in-depth marketing analytics that leverages the company's available data. He/she provides marketing and statistical analysis and consulting to internal clients, supports marketing-related data analysis and reporting needs, and proactively provides ideas to improve marketing effectiveness throughout the organization.
Strategy Consulting: provide insights and recommendations to support client experience standards and expectations. Package insights and analysis into documents that can be used to create marketing strategies.
Project management: manage project dates, issues, resources, and status reporting to management, and clients as needed.
Analytics and Statistical Modeling: build statistical models to improve profitability through better targeting and understanding. Develop solutions for frontline usage which improve profitability.
Data and Information Expert: review internal and external data sources to achieve greater understanding about customers and opportunities. Initiate recommendations to manager and/or lines-of-business to enhance data set (third party, primary & secondary research, etc.).
Analytical and Statistical Consulting: consult on ways analytical and statistical results can be implemented to maximize results. Provide recommendations on appropriate analytical and statistical methodologies to solve problems.
Banking Business Knowledge: build and maintain a thorough knowledge of the banking business, the company's products and services, and the ways that the company generates revenue and profit.
· Minimum of 2+ years of experience in marketing analytics and statistics required.
· Bachelors level or higher degree in Statistics, or equivalent education and experience required. Masters degree in statistics preferred.
· High level of proficiency in analytic thinking and statistics, modeling, and data mining.
· Accompanying high proficiency in SAS, SQL, Excel, and database query skills required.
· Able to translate business problems into analytic solutions that drive and support business strategies and tactics.
· Strong problem-solving skills.
· Skilled at communicating and presenting solutions to technical as well as non-technical audiences.
· Strong project management skills with high attention to details.
· Financial business, industry, and product knowledge.
Please apply at www.harrisbank.com, requisition #64365.
PARAMETER provides a job listing service by publishing Positions Available and Positions Wanted, the latter being free to Chapter members. Companies may list positions for $75. Contact the Editor for more information.
About the Parameter
PARAMETER, newsletter of the Chicago Chapter of the American Statistical
Association, is published 10 times a year as a service to its members. To submit material for publication, contact the Editor, Linda Burtch, email: email@example.com
For additional information about Chicago Chapter ASA, please visit us on the web at: www.ChicagoASA.org.
Also, visit the National ASA web site www.amstat.org.
Email change of address to: firstname.lastname@example.org